It's called Cross-Cultural Servanthood, by Duane Elmer. I would say it's one of the top 10 most challenging books I've read, maybe ever. I guarantee, if you read it, you'll be challenged.

It's quite an easy read. Elmer doesn't try to sound smart or pretend like he's made it and he'll show you the way. In fact, he frequently uses his own cross-cultural blunders to illustrate a point and show you just how far he has to go. And this is coming from a man who's entire professional life is focused on helping people have successful cross-cultural experiences. According to the back of the book he has traveled and taught in over seventy-five countries, provided cross-cultural training to people from Fortune 500 companies, relief and development agencies, mission organizations, churches, and educational institutions. He has also conducted peace and reconciliation efforts in several countries. At the printing of the book in 2006 he was the G.W. Aldeen Professor of International Studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School in Deerfield, IL.
The book is broken down into fourteen chapters in three sections. Part I builds a basic perspective required for true servanthood found in the humility demonstrated by Christ in his life and death. Part II works backwards through the baby-step process (from a Western perspective; many of his non-AmeriEuro friends said they preferred a more integrative circular model) of servanthood. Part III works through three challenges the servant faces: Leadership, Power, and Mystery, and then closes with a case study of Joseph.
In coming posts I will share quotes and offer comments to give you a taste of the contents. I hope it leads you to purchase the book yourself and allow Elmer's winsome humility to transform your perspective on living life in relationship with people different from you, as you pursue our Servant-King in his example of humility.
Wear the towel.
No comments:
Post a Comment