Chinese Classics Quotation

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day Two part two

Well, I didn't make it to WuDa; or rather I didn't attend class. My scooter ran out of juice about 15 minutes into the ride, so I turned around and barely crawled home. Hopped a bus and made it to class late. I was too embarrassed to bust in late since I'm technically not even a student there, the prof just said I could sit in, so I didn't go in. Instead I visited a large bookstore and bought a book for future Chinese study.

Pretty much the whole morning I was bumming about my Chinese. Bumming pretty hard core too. I feel like it should be better than it is. Like maybe I made the wrong choice in this pursuit; I'm running my family into the ground and we'll be in the poor house or living off my parents because I blew all our money on a language I couldn't learn. I'm very anxious to be at a strong communicating level, but getting there just takes time and lots of practice, and I want to be there NOW.

But my wife is very encouraging. She made lunch, we enjoyed a few loving glances. And this afternoon I cranked away at a ppt my comprehensive Chinese teacher made for review to prepare us for the midterm we have in nine days. Then I started working through characters from the last 10 chapters. There's a lot to know. 541 words to be exact. And that doesn't count the grammar details. By the middle of the afternoon I wasn't bumming so hard. In fact, I even enjoyed it a little bit.

We ate at one of the two restaurants that don't require a 30 minute journey to eat at. Came back home and studied a little more, exercised for the first time since early March. I caught a cold, and then five or six weeks later caught another one (I think I never really got over the first one). So, now nearly recovered, still coughing and hacking a little more, we hit the gym.

This evening Em and I watched an interview Mark Driscoll did with R.C. Sproul. I recommend it. Here's the link.

I didn't accomplish all I had set out to do for the day. The scooter threw me off and my bumming around wasn't productive. May tomorrow be better. "Forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on towards the goal..."

And now, to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment