Chinese Classics Quotation

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Something Different for the Holiday

Today is DuanWu Jie (Dragon Boat Festival) so Emily and I are both off from school. I thought I'd give you something a little different today. Here are a few pictures with descriptions of recent happenings and everyday occurrences.

This is a can of Nut Drink, my newly discovered beverage that I can add to cereal. I developed lactose intolerance towards the end of college, so I have long been searching for something I can use with cereal. It has been found.

On Sunday Emily and I had five of my former students over for a small graduation ceremony. They all recently finished an MA in English Literature, Translation, or Linguistics. However, Chinese universities do very little to celebrate the momentous occasion so we threw together a graduation ceremony, I gave a brief commencement speech, and we handed out fake diplomas and a small gift. Then we ate dinner!!! And Emily prepared a wonderful graduation cake, which they are eating in the picture.

This is Catherine getting her "faux-ploma". She was my student five years ago as a sophomore, and again last year in her first year of graduate school. She also had a rare opportunity to come to the States and study for a semester at Coe College in Cedar Rapids during her senior year of undergrad. She celebrated Christmas with my family, and I had the privilege of introducing her to America. Monday night we had several girls from the factory over for dinner. They had previously helped us organize our apartment after the big move in April.

This and the picture below are random snapshots of things we see around town. The moving truck is a rarity and we thought it was quite humorous. The dump truck is extremely common where we live, sometimes carrying sand as in the picture, but also very often carrying gravel. Notice how it is piled all the way to the top. Amazingly, it doesn't seem like rocks fall off all that often. (Pictures taken while riding my electric scooter. Go Eur-Asian transportation!)

Note: He is turning right from the center lane...

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jesse,
    I am really enjoying your blog. The photos you added are nice too. You and Emily reach out in so many fun ways. I like the graduation party you had too. It looks like you have quite a view from your apartment. What floor are you on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time you're in America, We'll have to take you out for "real" tacos so you can convey the intricacies of real mexican food to your Chinese friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what! A few months ago Michael and Sam introduced me to Almond milk. It is all I use anymore. It also makes a good shake with bananas and frozen strawberries.
    Tell Catherine Hi and congratulations. :)

    ReplyDelete