I decided not to go to the local police station. I didn't want to make Officer Liu lose face, which was a possibility. That relationship can go a long way, in either direction, and it is good to be on his good side.
In thinking more on the issue of our address in the paper, there's really nothing we can do about it now. It's already out there. We could complain to the paper, but what would that accomplish? They might not do it next time? Perhaps. Is there also a good chance that it'll happen again, to some unsuspecting person? Yeah, probably. Is there any recourse that could be taken, should our apartment be broken into? Nope. We can complain. Throw a fit. Socially embarrass ourselves. Can we make a certain connection between to paper printing our address and the thief. Not a chance.
But, as I was pondering and stewing about what to do, these thoughts came to my mind.
I have a Protector and Shield that is far greater than any lock on any door, or any secret Bat Cave without an address for that matter, and He is watching over me, my wife, and 'our stuff.' Did I mention that he is a Master Administrator? Should He deem it good to relocate some things, that's His prerogative. He gave and He can take away, and His name will always be blessed in our Home, whether or not a stranger enters to remove things or not.
And as I was thinking through all these things, I was also reminded of Brothers and Sisters, not TOO long ago, who knew what was Valuable and what was not.
32 But recall the former days when, after you were enlightened, you endured a hard struggle with sufferings, 33 sometimes being publicly exposed to reproach and affliction, and sometimes being partners with those so treated. 34 For you had compassion on those in prison, and you joyfully accepted the plundering of your property, since you knew that you yourselves had a better possession and an abiding one. 35 Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. 36 For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. 37 For,Just a few weeks before the newspaper 'fiasco' we had our scooter stolen, "right out from under us" (we kept it beneath the stairs on the first floor). At that time I remembered this verse, and it came back to me again, reminding me to be joyful, even at the plundering of my property. For we have a better possession, and it cannot be taken away. It is stored up for us in Heaven, where moth and rust cannot destroy, and thieves cannot break in and steal.
“Yet a little while,and the coming One will come and will not delay;
38 but my righteous one shall live by faith,and if he shrinks back,
my soul has no pleasure in him.”
39 But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
The writer of Hebrews is right, that we are in need of endurance. We all are. Especially those who think their stuff is permanent. You've got your cameras, your alarm systems, and your dog. All to protect your STUFF. There's nothing wrong with alarms, or cameras, and I love dogs! Can a camera stop a volcano (catch up on the news in Indonesia if I'm losing you)? Can it stop a tsunami? A tornado, or a wild fire? Or simply TIME?
In the middle of all this my wife asked me, "what is it about stuff that makes us feel good? Why does getting something new make us feel good?" I think I tried to come up with some philosophical answer that was clever, but I don't recall it right now.
The question remains, what is my confidence in? In my stuff? Or in the One who is coming. And the writer of Hebrews is clear, He IS coming. Are you enduring in your confidence in Him? Or have you taken a side road that seemed softer, more easy going?
Here's a pic of our plundered property. Did I post it earlier? I can't remember. It's actually the only pic we have of it, taken with our friend Withy from Singapore. She's lots fun. And may the man (or woman) who stole our scooter be blessed as much as we are, and may he or she find a better Possession, and the only Abiding One.
No comments:
Post a Comment